RE: Debian vs. Red Hat

hi ya

i say ( my silly opinion )....
- give the customer what they want....( convincing um otherwise is usually
futile after 5 mintues of say why one is better than the other

examples i point out.... ( preferably with them sitting there for first
hand experience....

- ask um what they expect the server to do...
	- price/performance ...
	- what is its primary function
	- what is the backup plan  when any server dies

- show them the uptime of the various servers
	( hopefully doing the same work load

- show them how hard/easy to upgrade the kernel...
- show them how to upgrade/install more sw
- show them how simple/hard it is to create a new box....
- show them what is "broken out of the box" installs
	- somebody has to go fix it to get it to work
- show them how many bug reports exists
- show them how long it takes to reply to a "bug report" or "security
  advisory"
- show them how long to wait for email and/or phone support
- show them how much it costs to maintain the box at a particular level
  of performance/reliability requirements
	- how to update pkgs  ( manually or automatically )
- show them stuff that is included in one distro but NOT in another

... have fun convincing um  or ignore their ignorance and stay on their
... good side till the enxt manager comes rolling in the door...
... at which time you can change things than...

all of the distro has good and bad points.... just depends on what
the situation is...and how much they willling to spend...

have fun linux'ing
alvin