Re: Burn in an ethernet device

Hi Adrian,

On Tue, 05 Sep 2000, Adrian Nims wrote:
> I recompiled the kernel, I introduced an "append" line in lilo.conf in
> order to burn in an ethernet device. At reboot, the sistem (debian) see the
> ethernet board as eth0, everything seems OK but after boot, when i say
> "ifconfig" it appears to me only the loopback device.
>    What must I do in order to make this ethernet device running and give it
> an IP address ?

You shouldn't use append unless you need to get a second eth card working
(and even so, I'm pretty sure it's only needed for pre-2.2.x kernels). The
eth0 should than become the card with the lowest hardware address, the other
would become eth1.

As I said, you don't need this. Just remove the append from lilo.conf, run
lilo (!!) and add your eth0 with its IP number and the like in
/etc/network/interfaces. Then restart the networking daemon;
/etc/init.d/networking stop|start

You can also experiment by using the ifconfig program on the command line.
Debian 2.2 differs a bit from 2.1, the ifconfig is a little different also.
Check the man page.

Good luck,

--
Danny Pansters