Re: New installation (again!)

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 05:14:22AM +0200, Helgi Örn wrote:
> Greetings all ye Debians!
>
> I gave it another go; installed Debian 2.2 'potato', this time only a
> minimal installation although with GNOME, which turned out to be a flop
> of course:

> gmc
> gnome-control-center
> gnome-help
> gnome-utils
> gnotepad+
> gs
> gv
> latex2html1
> libgtkxmhtml1
> libwraster1
>
> When I was asked if the program should give it another try to install
> these packages I said yes, but I'm not sure if it went through, I never
> got any other messages about that.
>
> GNOME turned out to be one small terminal (without a frame) in the upper
> left corner of the screen, on a neutral- grey background, nothing else.

Sounds like X fail-safe mode.  No window-manager, no ~/.xsession, it'll
give you an Xterm.  You can start a window-manager from that Xterm.  For
GNOME you'll want one of window-maker, icewm-gnome or sawmill aka
sawfish.  GNOME seems to work best [or at least is easiest] if you
install GDM (the GNOME Display Manager).  It's not strictly necessary
though.  You can find out if those packages are properly installed by
doing 'dpkg -l [<package>, ...]'. If it's installed properly, the first two
characters of the line spit out for each package will be 'i' and there
won't be a third character before the name of the package.

Just try '$ apt-get install gmc' for instance.  Need help with apt?
Check the man page, then ask if you're still confused.

> The lp module would not install:
>
> Installation failed
>
> /lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/lp.o : init_module : Device or resource busy
> Hint: this error can be caused by incorrect module parametres, including
> invalid IO or IRQ parametres
> /lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/lp.o : insmod/lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/lp.o
> failed
> /lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/lp.o : insmod lp failed
>
> My printer is a parallel port (lp0) Epson Stylus Color 640. I tryed
> several times, with and without parametres.

What were the io and irq settings you gave?  I know I set up some things
in the BIOS for my parallel port (especially the communication style).

For me, this works:
	$ insmod parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7 dma=5
	$ modprobe lp

You need that low-level parport_pc.o module if you have typical x86 type
architechture.  The parameters may vary a little, check your MB docs
and/or BIOS.  When you get the parport_pc parameter correct, put them on
a line in /etc/modutils/aliases like:

options parport_pc io=0x...  irq=. dma=.

Then run '$ update-modules'.  Now '$ modprobe lp' should work.

> wvdial didn't find the modem (I'm used to wvdial 'always' finding the
> modem on first attempt!) which is a Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO on
> ttyS0.

Well, try running setserial first?  IMHO, pppconfig is much better
overall.  At least it [pon/poff] doesn't hang around in the foreground
forever wasting a VT and spewing all kinds of stuff that you probably
don't care about.

> Window Maker seems to be the default window manager, what happened to
> fvwm? I can't find it on the CDROM.

Look for fvwm2.  I thought the old fvwm was still around, but maybe not.
You can change the system-wide default window manager with this:
	$ update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

Just select the number corresponding to the one you want as default.
This is different than other Linux distributions and earlier versions of
Debian.  Lots of default things are set up with this alternatives
mechanism.

--
/bin/sh ~/.signature:
Command not found