RE: [ILUG] mere samba&access horror

> Thanks the responses to everyone who helped me to solve the mapping
> problem. But this Access stuff sucks ! I'm going mad. When I want to
> access the databases stored on the server frm more then one client it
> rejects to map the drive and the access program gives me the "Runtime
> error" message.

Huh?  Access doesn't "map drives".  Windows Explorer or the 'net use'
command map drives.

> The dialog box says that the file is in use so it can't
> open or do anything with it.

Access needs to create a .ldb file alongside the .mdb for locking
info.  Make sure that the access permissions and file modes
allow this.  Use smbstatus to make sure that the connection is
being made with the user account that you expect.

> It seems to me that the Samba locks the file
> (or the client program wants to do it and Samba allows this *******
> behaviour). How can I resolove this. Either to reject the locking or not
> to lock the files natively. Any help appriciated. SOS !

It's been a while since I looked at the Samba docs, but a few years
ago there was a portion of the Readme (or install, or bugs, or
something) that dealt specifically with MS Access.  Grep for it.

Later,
Kenn