Re: general backup question/tar

On Sun, 03 Sep 2000 23:53:36 PDT, Alvin Oga writes:
>my favorite topic for "flame wars"....next to dns flames...

;-)

>I like tar for backups....
>	- and i dont worry about restore too much...
>	since if you need to restore...something else is probably
>	(seriously) wrong too
>
>	- restoring a file from tape is too too painful...

Hmm, restoring is a pita regardless from where ;-) . I have enough temp
 space to be able to do a full restore in case of trouble

>since tapes are expensive compared to $100 for 20Gb of disks

I agree that they´re not *that* much cheaper (at least DDS-2 tapes <->
 large EIDE-disks) but a factor of 5 is a factor of 5 (90m DDS-2 tape
 (2GB) is about USD 2, eg USD 1/GB tape <-> USD 5/GB disk). Then
 there´s reliability (not a single tape has failed me in 7 years, but
 at least 10 disks have. and I have had *much* more tapes than disks).

>I only use disks for backup of systems...
>	- disks backups are fast and can be almost hot swappable

I don´t worry about speed, the box has all night ;-) . Also if I would
 like to have hot-swappable disk-backup _and_ at least 8 full backups,
 I´d have to buy 8 disks. And USD 1k is out of the question for me. My
 DDS-2 drive, refurbished, costs ~ USD 70...

>	- remember too that you have stuff on the original cdrom
>	so i rarely if ever backup /usr/X11R6 /lib etc..etc...

I like *full* backups, no hassles, no problems with different versions
 etc pp.

I simply do a full backup every week or so, cycling through (at the
moment) 8 tapes.

&rw
--
/ Robert Waldner <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> | Phone: +43 1 89933 0 Fax x533 \
\        KPNQwest/AT tech staff        | Diefenbachg. 35   A-1150 Wien /