Odd Missing Apps in 2.2 Install

OK, I'll admit upfront that I'm new to Debian, but OTOH not to Linux. I
installed 2.2 (compact kernel) without any *apparent* errors, but the
resulting install proved to be less than useful in some odd ways. I'm
too green at Debian to know a bug from a feature :-)

I chose a "simple" install, and picked the tasks relevant to my usage.
I use PPP dialup for my net connection, and do mostly e-mail, Net
browsing and some c/c++ compiles. Mostly I'm in a console, but I do use
X as well.

The install left out gpm, which I would have thought would be a
standard. Likewise lpr print spooling. After I installed lpr I
discovered that the lp.o module wasn't installed with the compact
kernel modules. And all the configuring failed to add /dev/lp0 to the
/etc/printcap file.

Of less importance (to me) was that although the VGA16 server is there,
I don't recall being asked for any other; e.g., svga. So, no X is run
by xdm.

And finally (at last), where does all that "user" tweaking go that SuSE
puts in /etc/rc.d/boot.local and halt.local? This is where, e.g.,
custom environmental vars are set. And where is the appropriate spot to
disable daemons I don't need/want, like inetd and atd? Do I edit the
/etc/init.d scripts?

New but still trying,
Howard Arons