gtk/libpixmap?

Friday I decided to refsck my filesystems and start clean (every year or
two seems a good time to clean my accumulated cruft out).
I'm now plagued with gtk warnings like this one for many of my gtk
programs:
Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate loadable module in module_path: "libpixmap.so"

What do I need to do to fix this ?
 I'm running Woody (and have been for
as long as woody has been around) and am not at all averse to compiling things
to fix it.  I thought it was a gnome-libs library...however, I'm not sure of
that, since programs like gtk-licq are complainging also.
If it takes just recompiling gtk+-1.2.8 to fix it...that's fine too,
however, I'm trying to break myself of accumulating non-dpkg installed
stuff on my system (see cruft above).
Thanks
Danny Barron