Re: SCSI problem

Robert Kasunic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Dawicontrol 2975U SCSI Controller with three devices (CD-ROM,
> CD-Writer and Scanner) connected to it. Some time ago I encountered some

.
.
.

> That goes on forever. It's impossible to work with the system in that
> state and I have to reboot. I'm not able to use the devices connected to
> the controller. I've tried compiling new kernels (2.2.14, 2.2.16, 2.4.0-test7) with different SCSI lowlevel drivers (ncr53c8xx and sym53c8xx) to no avail. I searched the
> web but couldn't find anything helpful.
>
> Did anyone experience something similar? I really would appreciate any
> hint.
>
> TIA
> Robert
>
> PS: SCSI worked flawlessly for quite a long time with kernel 2.2.14. I
> did *not* change any options during the kernel configuration.

First thing I would do is verify termination is correctly enabled on both ends.

if you have exclusively internal devices, check to make sure the card's termination is set to auto or on and the last internal device's termination on the internal chain is
enabled

if you have exclusively external devices, check to make sure the card's termination  is set to auto or on and the last external device's termination on the internal chain is
enabled

if you have both internal and external devices, check to make sure the card is set to auto or off and the last device's termination on the each side is enabled

anything not at the extreme end of the chain should have its termination turned off.

additional troubleshooting would be to try each device individually.

incorrect SCSI termination usually shows up when the device is used more than when it is scanned on startup.

Mark
--
Mark Anthony Simos, MCSE
Poet, Playwright, Swing Dancer