Strange KDE2 Language Problem after recent update, help pls.

Greetings,

I have been running KDE2 and Woody for some time now with no problems, however
after a recent update, several things happened. First of all, my console keymap got changed to a non us one, so I could not login. Once I figured out what was happening, I determined how my keyboard was mapped, so I could login as root and use kbdconfig to fix the problem. Then I ran X-windows. KDE2 comes up fine, but all the dialogs, etc are in gibberish, I guess it could be a language like chinese, etc, but whatever it is, I can't read it. On desktop one, the icons names are also missing completely, but on desktops 2-4 the icon names are there, in english, but the rest of the dialogs are in gibberish. Since I can't run the KDE2 config program inside KDE (it runs, can't
read it tho) How can I fix this problem from console mode??

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Regards,

Todd