RE: Linux crashed a lot - more info

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Larry Elmore wrote:

> Did you try replacing the power supply? This sounds suspiciously like an
> almost-good power supply. That is one item that one should _never_ skimp on,
> but a lot of low-end clones do to save a few bucks. Of course, there's other
> possible causes. My wife's machine got to be like that, and after some
> poking about, I discovered that the CPU fan was going bad -- it was turning,
> but not quite fast enough _some_ of the time. Sometimes it'd run at full
> speed for a couple of days before slowing down, sometimes a few minutes, and
> sometimes would start off slow in which case the machine sometimes wouldn't
> even finish booting before the CPU overheated. Intermittent problems like
> that can be really difficult to track down sometimes.
>
> Larry

No, the only spare box I have has an old AT power supply.

Yet another problem I've had that you reminded me of - the CPU fan will
occasionally speed up and slow down. I've seen it stop almost completely,
too. Sometimes, it makes a nasty rattling sound, but it seems to be
attached well enough to the CPU that it shouldn't fall off. I've seen that
the BIOS knows what speed the CPU fan is turning - is that how the fan can
affect the computer? I've never seen the CPU get too hot.

I'm really starting to doubt my hardware now. ...all I want is a happy
Linux box that never crashes... Perhaps I should perch a stuffed penguin
on top of it.

john