Re: kde or gnome?

>>>>> "Felix" == Felix Natter <fnatter@gmx.net> writes:

Helgi> Of course it depends on who you ask.....:-) Generally I like
Helgi> KDE because it is locical in so many ways, but I don't like how
Helgi> big it is and therefore takes a lot of resources, and it's not
Helgi> 'free'.  Gnome is faster (for me) but I got problems with using
Helgi> different

Felix> kde 2.0 might well be faster than GNOME 1.2, because GNOME
Felix> still uses CORBA for object embedding, while KDE uses DCOP,
Felix> which "builds on inter- process communication". Thus, DCOP is
Felix> more lightweight, but not fully network-aware (although network
Felix> communcations will be possible by connecting the DCOP-servers).

This is from someone who just half a year ago wouldn't leave text
mode, so take it with a grain of salt.

First, KDE _is_ totally free.  The only problem with it, license-wise,
is that it uses Qt, whose license, although _also_ free, is
incompatible with GPL.

I tried both KDE and Gnome; in fact I tried installing Gnome multiple
times, and always came to the same conclusion (which is: I run KDE :).
The problem I have with Gnome is a bit subtle, and not obvious to
someone who's installing Linux or even a Linux GUI for the first time
and deciding between what's out there.

Namely, Gnome does not include its own window manager; KDE does.
Gnome depends on hooks for Gnome support compiled into an external
window manager, and at present the only window manager with full
support for Gnome seems to be Enlightenment, AKA `E'.

And E is a _HOG_.  I mean, it's a hogggg.  There seems to be no easy
way to make it not use bitmap textures for everything imaginable on
the screen, including caption bars and even menus.  The results are
predictable.  With KDE, the entire Linux boot sequence is still much
faster than Windoze; with Gnome and E, it's a toss-up :-(  That's on a
32M/P160 machine, which doesn't strike me as minimalistic.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
In his own soul a man bears the source