Re: Linux crashes a lot

John:

I'm afraid I don't really know how to help, but this sounds very
strange to me.  I think that the problem must be specific to this
box. In the 5 years I've been running Linux (first Slackware, then
Debian), the only program that has ever brought down the whole system
has been Corel's Wordperfect (hate that program). And that happened
just once.

Maybe it's bad memory?  There's a utility called memtest in the
sysutils package that might be able to detect it.  It can detect
things that the BIOS memory-check can't, but there are also a lot of
memory problems that it won't detect at all. A much more thorough test
is memtest86 in the hwtools package---a program that you boot into via
floppy. That gives your memory a real going-over,

Jim