installing-ncr53c406a:no avalible ports found

Hi Maybe someone can help me. When i try to boot up from the debian 2.1 cd for
the first times to install the program. I hit enter at the boot prompt like it
says and it spits out a whole bunch of stuff and freezes up with the last line
being
   ncr53c406a :no avalible ports found
   ncr53c406a, i belive, is a sccsi port modle number. I don't have one.
   What can i type at teh boot promt to prevent my machine from freezing up?
   what can i do to get past this point?
   How can i prevent this?
   what do i type in at the boot prompt?
   How do i make it stop looking for a scsi port i don't have?
   thank you

   -jess