netscape 4.72 problems with gnome

All of a sudden Netscape Communicator 4.72 is taking a long time to
'start', and it seems to lock up all of gnome as well.  After a few
minutes the home page opens and everything else works.  While Netscape
is 'initializing' the mouse cursor moves, but anything on the desktop
that I click on does not respond.  I can switch to another vterm and
kill netscape, at which point gnome becomes alive again.  This behavior
just started, I haven't upgraded anything for some time.  (VIRUS?).
Maybe I should un-install netscape and re-install 4.75.

Mozilla (M15) works, but is about %50 slowler than netscape.