Re: Enabling Serial Port Console Login

type <dmesg | more> and you should be able to see if serial ports are
available to you.  You have to uncomment one of the terminal lines in
/etc/inittab.  The connect speed on your terminal (or PC pretending to be
one) must be the same.  The text-terminal howto <http://www.linuxdoc.org>
has many diagrams for making your own null-modem cables which are required
for computer to terminal, (computer) equipment.  When you have
/etc/inittab modified you don't have to reboot the machine, just type
<init q> as root.  If the terminal or PC emulating one is setup and
connected a login prompt should appear on it's screen.

If you need support for serial ports it is under the heading, "Character
devices" when used with make menuconfig.

Hope this helps.
John Kerr Anderson
jkanders@alpha.delta.edu
Debian GNU/Linux 2.2