Re: Potato on a laptop

ok, so I installed sndconfig out of woody and ran it.  Firstly the PCI
probe said: "A PCI sound card was found in your system.  The details are:
   Model: Unknown vendor|unknown device 125d:1978"
After pressing OK: "The Unknown vendor|unknown device 125d:1978 is not
supported"  Then exists, would it help if I recompiled the kernel and
added some different form of sound support?  If I do, what sort of support
should I compile into the kernel?