Help with installing X

--- Begin Message ---
I'll try to give as much information as I can.

I'm using Debian 2.1, it came with X 3.3.2 or something around there I
*think*.  I know for a fact it's older than 3.3.6.  Anyway, I'd like to
install 3.3.6.  Apparantly for 4.0.1 (or whichever the newest stable release
is, if I got that wrong) I need to update my kernal, and, unless someone can
help me out on that one (I can't go past 2.2.14 since I'm using a linmodem)
I'd much rather just stick with 3.3.6.  I need to upgrade X because any
version older than 3.3.6 doesn't support my video card, and I don't really
need more much than that since I'm just learning linux.  Anyway: the point.
For downloading the Linux binaries for Xfree86 3.3.6, I have the choices for
OS of:

Linux-axp-glibc21
Linux-ix86-glibc20
Linux-ix86-glibc21

Would anyway be able to tell me which I need, or is there a program that will
tell me which I need, similar to the "sh Xinstall.sh -check" command that can
be used with 4.0.1?  Thank you very much in advance.

-Chris

--- End Message ---