Where should route commands get put?

/etc/network/interfaces has the correct information for my system; however,
ifup -a fails to create a default route. I can, as root, type in a couple
of route commands, and then I can ping systems all over the country. I want
these commands executed at startup. Where is the proper place to put them?
(version potato)

Curiously, I greped all over for route and ifconfig but didn't find either
command in any of the init.d scripts. Man ifup mentions running ifconfig,
but not route. Does anyone know what program(s) runs route commands?
(ifup?)

Mat