Re: X and Console in the same News/E-mail program?

Adam Scriven <scriven@lore.com> writes:
AS> I've been thinking (dangerous) recently about what I'd like in a news
AS> and e-mail reader.
AS>
AS> I'd like them both to be X based, for the most part, but it would be
AS> handy if there was a secondary curses (or other console) based
AS> interface, for when I telnet into my box remotely.

You might try one of the Emacs-based mail/news readers.  I've grown to
be a Gnus addict in recent years.  If I'm logged on an X display, I
can run it in an X-based xemacs session, but if I'm not, 'xemacs -nw
-f gnus' works just as well for tty-mode.

AS> On a similar vein, can anyone recommend a good GUI news reader (I'm
AS> thinking about knews, but the review I read of it said it can't handle
AS> inline images very well), and a good, eudora-like e-mail reader?

Recent versions of Gnus have fairly good MIME support.  I'm using Gnus
5.8.7 with no problems.

Downsides of Gnus: it only runs inside Emacs; if you have an aversion
to Emacs, it's not for you.  It almost requires elisp hacking to make
it work the way you want it to.  It's not terribly attractive or
pointy-clicky.  It has a kind of steep learning curve.  MIME and
encryption don't play well together at all.

Miscellaneous advantages of Gnus: it runs inside Emacs; if Emacs is
your primary religion, Gnus could be for you.  You can make it do
almost whatever you want with sufficient elisp hacking.  Gnus can read
mail, news, various Web-mail services, Slashdot, and legacy mailbox
files, all with a more-or-less consistent interface.  Recent versions
of Gnus have offline reading support and MIME support (both sending
and receiving).

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell