Re: quota error

On Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 07:10:46PM +0700, Umum Wijoyo wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'd just like to ask:
> How come any of my users with a uid of 1024 (uid=1024),
> always experiences quota problems?
> Is there anything magical about the number 1024?
> (I know that 1 kb = 1024 bytes...)
> Or did I just set my system's quota incorrectly?

seems to work ok for me:

test@socrates /tmp]$ mkdir test
test@socrates /tmp]$ cd test/
test@socrates /tmp/test]$ quota
Disk quotas for user test (uid 1024):
     Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit   grace
     /dev/hda10       1    4096    5120               1       5      10
test@socrates /tmp/test]$ for i in `seq 10` ; do touch $i ; done
/tmp: warning, user file quota exceeded
                                       /tmp: write failed, user file limit reached
                                                                                  touch: 10: Disk quota exceeded
test@socrates /tmp/test]$ ls -l
total 0
-rw-r-----    1 test     users           0 Aug 27 15:58 1
-rw-r-----    1 test     users           0 Aug 27 15:58 2
-rw-r-----    1 test     users           0 Aug 27 15:58 3
-rw-r-----    1 test     users           0 Aug 27 15:58 4
-rw-r-----    1 test     users           0 Aug 27 15:58 5
-rw-r-----    1 test     users           0 Aug 27 15:58 6
-rw-r-----    1 test     users           0 Aug 27 15:58 7
-rw-r-----    1 test     users           0 Aug 27 15:58 8
-rw-r-----    1 test     users           0 Aug 27 15:58 9
test@socrates /tmp/test]$ quota
Disk quotas for user test (uid 1024):
     Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit   grace
     /dev/hda10       1    4096    5120              10*      5      10  10days
test@socrates /tmp/test]$ cd ..
test@socrates /tmp]$ rm -rf test/
test@socrates /tmp]$ dd if=/dev/zero of=bloat bs=1k count=4096
/tmp: warning, user disk quota exceeded
                                       4096+0 records in
4096+0 records out
test@socrates /tmp]$ ls -lh bloat
-rw-r-----    1 test     users        4.0M Aug 27 15:59 bloat
test@socrates /tmp]$ dd if=/dev/zero of=bloat bs=1k count=5121
/tmp: warning, user disk quota exceeded
                                       /tmp: write failed, user disk limit reached.
                                                                                   dd: bloat: Disk quota exceeded
5100+0 records in
5099+0 records out
test@socrates /tmp]$ ls -lh bloat
-rw-r-----    1 test     users        5.0M Aug 27 16:00 bloat
test@socrates /tmp]$ id
uid=1024(test) gid=100(users) groups=100(users)
test@socrates /tmp]$

btw does anyone know why the quota messages always get indented like
that?

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/