Re: Web browsers for Linux (was: Re: Netscape Bus Error)

Hai,

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 05:19:29PM -0300, Rogerio Brito wrote:
> On Aug 16 2000, André Dahlqvist wrote:

> > quiet a lot of people who seam to like using Netscape to handle
> > their mail, and I think it's nice to give those people that option.
> 	BTW, I also notice how much people use Netscape to handle
> 	their mail and when I install Linux for my friends I install
> 	it also, for the following convenience: you don't need an MTA
> 	in your machine for the (conceptually) simple tasks of
> 	receiving and sending e-mails -- it incorporates both a POP3
> 	and a SMTP client in a single program.
>
> 	That is the reason why I don't install mutt for other people
> 	(that might not know how to fix the problems when they
> 	happen).  But *if* I knew of other e-mailers with the same
> 	functionality already packaged for Debian, I would consider
> 	them.

You could use mutt's recently build in support for POP and IMAP servers
(or you could use fetchmail:) and use ssmtp just to send the mail (seems
a simple program to install). But I don't see how you can do without local
mail on a linux system, local services need to be able to send reports if
things go wrong.