.xsession / .xinitrc?

Hello...

  All Debian documentation I found until now says I should use a
  .xsession file in my homedir... Instead of .xinitrc

  But I've tried creating an .xsession file (executable), andit's just
  ignored, and .xinitrc is used instead.

  (This is a woody box, and there's no display manager installed)

  I tried renaming .xinitrc, so it wouldn't be called, but .xsession
  is still ignored (and then I get twm running).

  So... The system runs ok like this, but I'd like to know what is it
  that I may have done wrong... Why is Debian using .xinitrc instead
  of .xsession?

Part of my /etc/Xsession:

+++
optionfile=/etc/X11/Xsession.options

sysresources=/etc/X11/Xresources
usrresources=$HOME/.Xresources

startup=$HOME/.xsession
errfile=$HOME/.xsession-errors
+++

And in /etc/X11/Xsession.options, I have:

+++
allow-failsafe
allow-user-modmap
allow-user-resources
allow-user-xsession
use-ssh-agent
+++

Thanks,
J.

--
Jeronimo Pellegrini
Institute of Computing - Unicamp - Brazil