APM won't blank the screen

Hi,
I recently exchanged my MSI-6167 board with a new MSI-K7pro. Since
then I seem to have a problem with the Power Management.

I chose "Enable console blanking using APM" in the kernel setup
(2.2.17pre20) and with the old board the screen was turned off after
10 minutes.
But with the new board I get the following message every 10 minutes:

"apm: set display: Unable to enter requested state"

But APM is activated in the BIOS and the kernel recognizes it while
booting:

Aug 27 14:48:37 nepomuk kernel: apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03
(Driver version 1.13)

#cat /proc/apm says:
1.13 1.2 0x03 0x01 0xff 0x80 -1% -1 ?

I noticed that there is a directory /etc/apm/event.d but there is no
file in it. Do I need to add something?
Thanks for your help,
Phil