Re: very simple lan question

You can't connect two boxes directly with an RJ45 cable.  You need
either a hub between them or a crossover cable.  That is, the "send"
wires from one box have to be connected to the "receive" wires from the
other box, and vice versa.  If you're only going to be using two
computers on this network, I would recommend getting a crossover cable
(or making your own).  It's cheaper than buying a hub.  There are lots
of pages on the web that will show you how to do this (although not
necessarily for linux).  Just go to your favorite search engine and try
something like

  +crossover +"peer to peer" +network

Making a crossover basically requires cutting the green and orange wires
(both solid and striped) inside your CAT5 cable and crosswiring them.
In other words...

End #1               End #2
striped green  --->  striped orange
solid green    --->  solid orange
striped orange --->  striped green
solid orange   --->  solid green
all the rest stay the same.

Here is a site that has a nice picture:
http://www.firewall.com/~mcd/crossover.html

You can also buy custom-made crossover cables on the web for about $5 US
(for 10 feet).  That's probably the easiest way to go but it's not
instantaneous.  Here are a few sites that I found through a quick
search, but I don't know anything about them.  Just go to the site and
search for "crossover" on their products page.

http://www.villagegeek.net
http://www.techstore.com
http://www.cdw.com