Re: very simple lan question

> Hi, I have two boxes (one woody, one potato) with ethernet cards,
> connected by a RJ45 cable.  I'd like to be able to ssh/sftp betwixt them.
>
> [I admit I don't grok networking much yet (that's partly why I'm doing
> this, to learn).  I've mainly been reading the Net-HOWTO and the man pages
> for ifconfig, if(up|down), route, and references therein; let me know if
> there's another FM I should RT.]

find one that has basic ip number information first - you need to know
that before you get to assigning ip numbers to hosts

a cisco ccna book has the information you seek - you might be able to
borrow one from someone.

you can also find such books at a border's bookstore - i know i can in
the town where i live.

> I've given the two boxes, 'leper-messiah' [1] and 'yomama', which I've
> given addresses 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.0.1 resp; and I've edited
> /etc/hosts on each box appropriately.   The file
> 'leper-messiah:/etc/network/interfaces' contains the stanza
>   iface eth0 inet static
>       address  192.168.0.0
>       netmask 255.255.255.0

change the ip number to 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.0 has a special meaning
and probably shouldn't be assigned to a host.

> The file 'yomama:/etc/network/interfaces' contains this stanza
>   iface eth0 inet static
>       address  192.168.0.1
>       netmask 255.255.255.0
> I've gotten the eth0 interface working fine (I think) on both.  For
> example, on yomama, 'ifconfig eth0' yields
> yomama:~# ifconfig eth0
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:C0:F0:47:A9:A1
>           inet addr:192.168.0.1  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
>           Interrupt:11 Base address:0xdc00
> I've enabled the appropriate services in /etc/services on both machines,
> I'm pretty certain, so I don't believe that's the problem.

sshd runs as a stand-alone daemon

/etc/services doesn't specify the services your computer is going to run
btw - basically it's just there to associate a certain service (ftp, ssh,
www, etc) with the appropriate tcp/udp port number.

> I tried various manipulations of the routing table, but they didn't seem
> to help.  I'm not sure what other info is useful, so please ask.

when you assign the ip number the kernel takes care of adding a route to
the local network for you.

Phil Brutsche				    pbrutsch@tux.creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstien