Re: mgetty with AutoPPP

Quoting Alberto Pereira (bash@ruralrj.com.br):
> This works, but, when i dialing from computer2 using wvdial to conect to the
> computer1 (runing mgetty), the computer one shows the prompt login(see the
> log above)

I don't use wvdial or PAP so I may not be much help...

I thought you had intended to use AutoPPP. You will still see a
login prompt (computer1 doesn't yet know what's going to happen
on this connection) but computer2 should ignore it and start sending
PPP packets ({{}}}{ garbage).

Computer2 should send "user something" in /etc/ppp/peers/whatever
and there should be an entry for "something" in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets.

> And when i tried to put in the /etc/passwd to this particular user to use the
> /usr/sbin/pppd this is the last error mensage i send.
> If i put /bin/false, this is not conect!
>
> I dont want the login prompt, just the autentication and conection
>

> This is the log of wvdial
> --> Modem initialized.
> --> Sending: ATDT xxxxxxxx
> --> Waiting for carrier.
> ATDT xxxxxxxx
> CONNECT 33600/ARQ/V34/LAPM/V42BIS
> --> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
> Debian GNU/Linux ttyS1 57600 (57600)
> **EMSI_REQA77E
> [11]
> medusa!login:
> Debian GNU/Linux ttyS1 57600 (57600)
> **EMSI_REQA77E
> [11]
> medusa!login:
> --> Looks like a login prompt.
> --> Sending: suporte
> suporte

It shouldn't send "suporte" at this point, but should start sending
PPP packets. In ppp (set up with pppconfig), you fall off the end
of the chatscript after expecting ogin:--ogin: and sending '' .

> Password:
> --> Looks like a password prompt.
> --> Sending: (password)
> Last login: Fri Aug 25 11:46:52 2000 on ttyS1
> Linux medusa 2.2.15 #1 Thu Jun 1 10:47:16 EST 2000 i586 unknown
> Most of the programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are
> freely redistributable; the exact distribution terms for each program
> are described in the individual files in /usr/doc/*/copyright
> Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
> permitted by applicable law.
> suporte@medusa:~$
> --> Hmm... a prompt.  Sending "ppp".
> ppp

Here it seems to be trying to start ppp at the other end. (Actually
pppd would do this, but you're not privileged enough to run it.)
But the real point is that, if only computer2 were to send some
PPP, computer 1 would have responded to it.

> bash: ppp: command not found
> suporte@medusa:~$
> --> Found a good menu option: "bash".
> --> Hmm... a prompt.  Sending "bash".
> bash
> suporte@medusa:~$
> --> Hmm... a prompt.  Sending "ppp".
> ppp
> bash: ppp: command not found
> suporte@medusa:~$
> --> Found a good menu option: "bash".
> --> Don't know what to do!  Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
> --> Starting pppd at Fri Aug 25 15:04:01 2000

It's too late. By logging in, you've missed your chance. So my guess
is that you truncate your wvdial script (is there such a thing) and
take out any user/password info you might be sending. In that way,
wvdial might start pppd at the correct time.

Then, it's all up to PAP. You'll be able to examine the logs again
to see if that works. Use debug, but I'd leave out kdebug 7 as
that's extremely voluminous.

> --> PPP daemon has died! (exit code = 10)
> --> Disconnecting at Fri Aug 25 15:04:32 2000
> --> Auto Reconnect will be attempted in 5 seconds
>
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Nate Amsden wrote:
> - Alberto Pereira wrote:
> - >
> - > Hi all,
> - >
> - > I'm trying to use mgetty with ppp to  conect one computer to another
>  (both - > using linux)with dialing.
> - > I configure /etc/mgetty/login.config:
> - > /AutoPPP/ -     -       /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap login kdebug 7
>  debug -
> - I have used these options with success in the past:
> - /AutoPPP/ -    a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd auth login debug crtscts modem
> - ms-dns 10.10.10.1 lock proxyarp 10.10.10.1:10.10.10.5
> -
> - change 10.10.10.1 to the ip of the linux box and 10.10.10.5 to the ip
> - you want to assign the modem, and 10.10.10.1 to your DNS.  Also be sure
> - to turn on ip forwarding if you want to access things beyond the linux
> - box.

Cheers,