Re: wu-ftp vs proftpd initial login delay

William Jensen wrote:

> I've got proftpd 1.2.0pre10-2 installed here on my box and a friend has wu-ftp on his.  When I log into his box (windows client) it's instant, however, when I log into my box it connects then pauses for 5-6 seconds then finishes the login.  Has anyone else experienced this with proftpd?  Is it designed for the flaw, a config prob on my part, or is Murphy showing his face?

most commonly this is caused by the ftp daemon trying to do a reverse NS
lookup on your ip which can cause the pause, is your friend in the same
network as you? and is your machine that you ftp to from the (shiver)
windows client using non-routable ips ? i can imagine if you are using
ipmasq or something your windows box goes out on the internet thru the
linux box which has a 'real' ip and can be resolved, and when you
connect to your friend's box his box sees you as using the ip on the
linux box and allows you in, while if you connect to your linux box from
inside a non routed network the linux box can have difficulty as it
tries to reverse lookup your IP. (happened to me in the past)

what i do, for a permanent solution is configure named with a fake
domain(in my case "aphro" with no . extension) both forward and reverse
lookups, i use the 10.10.10.x network for internal traffic and haven't
any problems since, or you can specify in hosts.allow the ips to allow
in, but in my experience that doesn't always speed things up.

if you need/want sample configs that i use lemme know

nate

--
:::
ICQ: 75132336