Re: Apache and Php (Was Re: apt-get)

> From: John Griffiths <john@capmon.com>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: apt-get
>
> OK this answers my first question and i do appreciate it.
> which leaves with the second issue of installing and configuring
> apache/php on debian potato.

That shouln't be too hard... let me dig up my memory...

> in 2 days time some friends and i are sitting down to configure some
> servers for our own use. we know how to get things running under
> linux-for-dummies (mandrake) and will if we have to.

Oh no... don't do it...

> but if someone could point me at the resources for doing this in debian
> (i have a full potato CD set) or walk me slowly through it. i would
> appreciate it.

AFAIK you only need to install some packages (I have apache/php/mysql, all
running nicely together on potato/woody)

try:
apache, apache-doc, apache-common
php4 (optional php4-mysql)

Php will either detect you have apache, and ask if it should install
itself in apache, or you have to add 1 line to httpd.conf to load the php
module into apache (Loadmodule php4_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/libphp4.so)
If you also want mysql the php4-mysql package will load itself into php4
proper...

It didn't use to go so easy up to some 2 months ago i think, but last time
I tried it was just regular debian-packages to get it all going instead of
having to compile apache, php and mysql myself...

Mark Janssen                                  Unix Consultant
Unix Support Nederland / PSInet Netherlands
E-mail: mark@markjanssen.homeip.net    GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
http: markjanssen.homeip.net www.markjanssen.nl www.maniac.nl
Fax/VoiceMail: +31 20 8757555     Finger for GPG and GeekCode