Re: Debian packages..

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Fox <mafox@fairfax.com.au> writes:

Michael> Hi, Problem I am having is with packages. I have an old
Michael> machine that is still running Slink, and at this time I do
Michael> not wish to upgrade it.

Michael> With potato changing to stable, I have since modified my
Michael> sources.list to reflect the fact that stable is not what I
Michael> want, but rather slink

Michael> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian slink main etc etc

Michael> I then do a apt-get update and to update my package lists.

Michael> This works somewhat fine, the problem happens when I wish to
Michael> install a package for slink,

Michael> apt-get install package

Michael> At this point it fails badly, because the stuff that I
Michael> downloaded with apt-get update, all the paths in this file
Michael> contain the path
Michael> blah/dists/stable/binary-i386-package/net/ntop-3-4.deb

Michael> Which means it will fail, as stable of course is now the
Michael> potato tree, shouldn't the package list files change to
Michael> reflect the codename of the release, rather then stable. As I
Michael> wouldn't be having this problem.

Michael> Can anyone tell me if the maintainers expect to update the
Michael> package lists files for slink, so that the paths are right,
Michael> as since potato is out, it FAILS big time.

Michael> Please email me anyone if you can help me out.

Me too :-(

I'm doing this just to make whoever replies post the reply to the
list, and not send to Michael alone.  There must be more of us in this
situation.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
In his own soul a man bears the source