Re: Linux Mail Client (was: Re: Web browsers for Linux (was: Re: Netscape Bus Error))

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 12:54:58AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 05:46:00PM +1000, markm@student.unsw.edu.au wrote:
> > .fetchmailrc can have:
> > []
> > user xxxxx is mark here
> > []
> > user yyyyy is julie here
>
>     Requires a local account for what really isn't a separate account on the
> local machine.  This is a piss-poor hack.
>
> > Alternatively, if you don't want separate acounts for work / home, you
> > can use an exim .forward file to filter and save your home stuff to a
> > seperate mailbox file and mutt -f the file. Alternatively...
>
>     I have already addressed this in this thread.  IE, dumping all mail into a
> single account and then filtering out from there.  This is not acceptable.
> Again, a hack to the extreme.

Perhaps it would help if you re-stated what it is you want, and
explain why this isn't a part of the solution.  Using an Exim
.forward file allows you to filter your mail into any number of
separate mailfolders at delivery time, based on a wide range of
criteria including the contents of the headers.

If you don't want all mail delivered to a single mailbox, and you
don't want mail delivered to several mailboxes belonging to
different mail users, and you don't want mail delivered to
several mailboxes all belonging to the same user, what is it you
*do* want?

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au