Re: .emacs startup file

When I start up emacs, word wrap is not turned on. If I write into the
*scratch* buffer, it doesn't word wrap. If I check the help/options
menu at the top of the window, auto-fill word wrap in text modes is
not selected.
However, if I do M-x eval-current-buffer then it turns on wordwrap in
the help/options 'auto-fill word wrap in text modes' box. So.. my
assumption is that emacs somehow isn't reading the .emacs startup file
correctly. However, I am using emacs as an email editor with post.el
and that may be influencing the behavior somehow. Attached is the
whole .emacs text file.

Thanks

Dale

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 04:39:21PM -0600 16, Gary Hennigan <glhenni@sandia.gov> wrote:
> > wrap turned on. I have the following lines in my .emacs file:
> > :;;Emacs configuration file
> >
> > (setq initial-major-mode 'text-mode)
> > (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
> >
> > (custom-set-variables
> >  '(make-backup-files nil))
> > (custom-set-faces)
> >
> > Should do what it takes right? but, it's not working. Any suggestions?
>
> Dale,
>
> What exactly IS happening? Does the scratch buffer still come up in
> "Lisp Interaction" mode? Is it in auto-fill minor mode?
>
> I assume you're using GNU Emacs and not XEmacs? Certainly I've used a
> slight variation of what you have above in XEmacs and it works
> perfectly. Here's mine:
>
> (setq initial-major-mode 'text-mode)
> (setq text-mode-hook
>       '(lambda ()
> 	 (turn-on-auto-fill)))

:;;Emacs configuration file

(setq initial-major-mode 'text-mode)
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

(custom-set-variables
 '(make-backup-files nil))
(custom-set-faces)

;; ;;; Email
 (server-start)
 (load "/home/dlm/.mutt/post.el")
 (defadvice server-process-filter (after post-mode-message first activate)
    "If the buffer is in post mode, overwrite the server-edit
    message with a post-save-current-buffer-and-exit message."
    (if (eq major-mode 'post-mode)
        (message
         (substitute-command-keys "Type \\[describe-mode] for help composing; \\[post-save-current-buffer-and-exit] when done."))))
 ; This is also needed to see the magic message.  Set to a higher
 ; number if you have a faster computer or read slower than me.
 '(font-lock-verbose 1000)
; (setq server-temp-file-regexp "mutt-")
 (add-hook 'server-switch-hook
         (function (lambda()
                     (cond ((string-match "Post" mode-name)
                            (post-goto-body))))))