Re: Still confused (was Re: ** Emegancy Request **)

Quoting Cam Ellison (cam_ellison@uniserve.com):
> Sorry this is a bit long, but I'm still confused...
>
> On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:20:11 -0500, Brian E. Ermovick wrote:
>
> >I've remapped partitions or even upgraded across drives just by using
> >cp - mke2fs the new drive (assuming the partition is large enough to
> >hold all the data), then:
> >
> >mount /dev/hdxx /mnt
> >mkdir /mnt/mnt
> >mkdir /proc/mnt
> >
> >cp -av /bin /mnt
> >cp -av /sbin /mnt
> >cp -av /usr /mnt
> >cp -av /home /mnt
> >cp -av /dev /mnt
>
> Let me get this straight..

I'm not sure why you attached your comment to this message, as it
doesn't seem to me a good way of doing the task that you want to do.
(Admittedly, the original poster, bill, was rather ambiguous about
what he wanted to do.)

> I am in the position of having to transfer my entire system to a new
> drive.  I will have to mount it initially as hdc.

I'm going to assume that you have your old system spread over multiple
partitions and you want to keep it that way.

> So I should mke2fs, and create swap, root, usr, and var partitions on
> the new drive (I assume under new names, like /newswap), as:

Yes, but you don't need new names. When you mke2fs them, they are just
/dev/hdcX and have no name.

> hdc2 becomes root
> hdc3 becomes swap
> hdc4 becomes usr
> hdc5 becomes var
> hdc6 (maybe) becomes something else

Well, the numbers are odd looking. What's in partition 1? It has
to be an extended partition to contain partitions 5 upwards.

Personally, in the absence of another OS, I'd have

hdc1 swap
hdc2 /
hdc3 /usr
hdc4 /foo (which contains /foo/var /foo/tmp and /foo/home)

or you might have, say,

hdc1 swap
hdc2 /
hdc3 /usr
hdc4 extended containing:
hdc5 /var
hdc6 /tmp
hdc7 /home

but you have to choose your own scheme according to your prejudices.
I now use a 50--60MB / partition where the biggies are split off.

Now let's do the copying. First the root partition. Assume it's going
to be on hdc2, as in all the examples above.

mount /dev/hdc2 /mnt
cd /
find -xdev | cpio -damp /mnt
umount /mnt

That copies everything in your present / partition into the new one,
but only the files within the partition, not any directory trees
like /usr that have been mounted separately.

To do another partition, like /usr :

mount /dev/hdc3 /mnt
cd /usr
find -xdev | cpio -damp /mnt
umount /mnt

and the same thing for other partitions.

At the end, you need to check your new /etc/fstab with

mount /dev/hdc2 /mnt
edit /mnt/etc/fstab

and ditto for lilo.

If you're going to (a) boot from a floppy and (b) remove the old disk
or swap the IDE cables round, then there's no need to change a<->c
as you'll always be booting into hda. You only need to correct any
changed partition numbers.

When you boot the new disk from a floppy, check the /etc/lilo.conf
and rerun lilo. Then see if it boots correctly.

If you have problems understanding this, do post your existing
partioning scheme (/etc/fstab will do nicely) and your intended
one. If you're splitting or merging partitons, you have to do
certain things slightly differently, and I can hardly post every
detail of every instance.

Cheers,