Still confused (was Re: ** Emegancy Request **)

Sorry this is a bit long, but I'm still confused...

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:20:11 -0500, Brian E. Ermovick wrote:

>I've remapped partitions or even upgraded across drives just by using
>cp - mke2fs the new drive (assuming the partition is large enough to
>hold all the data), then:
>
>mount /dev/hdxx /mnt
>mkdir /mnt/mnt
>mkdir /proc/mnt
>
>cp -av /bin /mnt
>cp -av /sbin /mnt
>cp -av /usr /mnt
>cp -av /home /mnt
>cp -av /dev /mnt

Let me get this straight..

I am in the position of having to transfer my entire system to a new
drive.  I will have to mount it initially as hdc.

So I should mke2fs, and create swap, root, usr, and var partitions on
the new drive (I assume under new names, like /newswap), as:

hdc2 becomes root
hdc3 becomes swap
hdc4 becomes usr
hdc5 becomes var
hdc6 (maybe) becomes something else

and then (literally) the next commands are:

mount /dev/hdc2 /mnt
mkdir /mnt/mnt
mkdir /proc/mnt

cp -av /bin /mnt
cp -av /sbin /mnt
cp -av /usr /mnt
cp -av /home /mnt
cp -av /dev /mnt

or are you using /mnt to refer to the new mountpoint (is this the right
name to call it?  I'm still pretty new at this), so it should be:

mount /dev/hdc2 /newroot
mkdir /newroot/mnt
mkdir /proc/mnt

et cetera...

If I don't want to rename everything /newswap, /newroot, etc. (at least
permanently), how do I do this?  I assume if I move the hard drive to a
new location, I need to boot from a floppy and rewrite /etc/fstab to
alter the assignments.  Can I do this to rename the partitions?

TIA

Cam

Cam Ellison, Ph.D., R.Psych.

cam_ellison@uniserve.com  or cam@fleuryassociates.com