Re: changing partitions around

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 09:05:04PM -0500, ktb wrote:
> I've just installed potato base via internet and am trying to download
> the rest of the packages I want.  I made my /var partition too small in
> retrospect.  I made a /usr/local partition that I don't need so large.
> /var is on /dev/hda17
> /usr/local is on /dev/hda14
>
> How can I make /var be /dev/hda14 and
> /usr/local be /dev/hda17?

well assuming you don't need anything in /usr/local right now just rm
-rf /usr/local/* and then run:

(cd /var; tar -cvpf - .) | (cd /usr/local; tar -xvpf -)

then change /etc/fstab.

you should probably create a tarball of /usr/local/* so you can
restore it when you change over, once your sure it worked remove all
the /var files from the new /usr/local.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/