Re: PLEASE: standard package README file/orientation

If there is anything called "users-requests" this certainly should be
placed there for the kind Debian developers to take notice. Surely,
dpkg --search / list / listfiles / print-avail is no replacement for a
dedicated package/ wrapper for these purposes.

Just to find out what all packages are installed, there are no easy
solutions. Yes, everyting is available in /var/lib/dpkg/status in pure
ASCII form inclusive of which all software are installed/ purged etc,
it is certainly not an easy task to go through the whole list.

There is a need for something like gnorpm/ kpackage/ glint used
in RH  and other RH based distros. Even YaST in SuSE serves fine.
For plain tar ball packages a bash script "pkgtool" of SlackWare is
good enough. Then why not something for deb packages ?

There is surely a need for  gaining more support for this cause
until the developers take notice.

Before somebody points out, why not do it yourself .... I have
started on a hack of "pkgtool" today. I'll post it on this list once
ready. I do not know enough programming to try fancier stuff !

Afterall, Computers for me is a hobby only.
I am a full-time doctor by profession.

USM Bish