Re: Modem pulse dailing?

I do not know if this is the cause of your problem,  nor can I
confirm that this is the "recommended" solution, but this hack
worked for me just fine.

We too have similar problems in India. I am also on a primitive
pulse dial exchange. I had problems intially since dial tone
was not being registered, and background noise was heard. I have
since then managed to make my four year old GVC 33.6 modem connect
quite satisfactorily.

Somehow, the chat scripts are not very satisfactory, and fail on
my slink box. I never investigated the reason for this since I
found a better alternative. I use "wvdial" instead, with 100%
success.

The dial scripts sometimes hang because it is probably waiting
for a dial tone. In which case you need to force a dial and
override this with ATM0.

Please try connecting with minicom or seyon. Add ATM0 to your
modem init string in case waiting for tone is the problem.
If that works, then wvdial will definitely connect.

The configuration file (/etc/wvdial.conf) which works for me is
below. You may alter the Init3 line to the one specific for
your modem.

--------------------< snip >--------------------------------

[Dialer Defaults]
Phone = 999999            #ISP Phone number
Username = my_user_name
Password = my_pass_word
Dial Command = ATDP
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/ttyS0
Baud = 57600
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATM0
Init3 = AT&F E0 V1 E1 &C1 &D2 S95=47 S10=250 X3 L3 +FCLASS=0

USM Bish