Re: Where does Debian usually install stuff?

On Sat, Aug 19, 2000 at 04:18:37PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 19, 2000 at 03:57:58PM +0200, Florian Friesdorf wrote:
> >
> > Well, imho it makes no sense splitting of /usr/src.
> > Everthing in there is under package control.
> >
> > /boot                        80MB
> > /                            60MB
>
> why do this?  just make / 60MB (or maybe 70/80) and lose the /boot
> partition, since / will fall completely under the 1024 cylindar mark
> there is no longer a point in a /boot partition.  80MB for /boot is
> rediculous anyway, unless you compile 10000 kernels or keep the source
> code in there...

Sorry typing error, I meant /boot 10MB.
I think you are right. It's just, I'm used to seperate /boot from /, so I can move around root, if neccessary.
But with the lba32 lilo-option, this isn't necessary anyway.

--> /                            70MB

> > I think it's better to not have /tmp on the same partition than /,
> > because / is static and /tmp is frequently written to.  If you don't
> > have enough space, I'd link /tmp to /var/tmp and create /var/tmp
> > with /var not mounted, so you also have a /tmp, in case /var isn't
> > mounted.
>
> or make /var/tmp a symlink to /tmp and make /tmp the seperate
> partition instead of /var/tmp.  almost nothing uses /var/tmp whereas
> almost everything uses /tmp so this would seem more logical IMO.

I had in mind, using the /var partition also for temporary files, because it is nearly as often frequented as /tmp.
Having a seperate partition for /tmp and linking /var/tmp is definitely the better way, if you don't have to care about disc space.

-ff

--
     Florian Friesdorf <42ff@gmx.net>
OpenPGP key available on public key servers

------> Save the future of Open Source <------
-> Online-Petition against Software Patents <-
------> http://petition.eurolinux.org <-------