Re: Where does Debian usually install stuff?

In message <00081822291200.06223@linuxlair> ,
"Daniel E. Baumann" <baumannd@msoe.edu>  was rumoured to have said about
`` Where does Debian usually install stuff? '':

> I was reading through the installation manual as I am attmepting to install
> potato. I am coming off of redhat and I know that they commonly install
> everything under /usr so where does debian commonly install stuff, /var?

[snip]

It depends on the package. The short answer is possibly anywhere in
the filesystem, except /usr/local. /var, BTW is for files/directories
which change often, such as spool directories and caches.

Disclaimer: it's been some time since I last read the installation docs.

Regards,
sb.

--

Stelios Bounanos <sb@dial.pipex.com>