Re: Netscape 4.73 and dynamic fonts

On Sat, Aug 19, 2000 at 10:12:26PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 01:32:37AM +0200, Frederik wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm experiencing some problems viewing certain webpages, because the font
> > that is being used, is not big enough. I've put scaling and dynamic fonts
> > on and off in all possible ways, but no luck. Help/Font Displayers shows
> > there aren't any installed. Might this be the reason of this problem?
> > If so, where should I find these Font Displayers?
>
> I have noticed the same thing.  When I looked at the html for the
> offending page, I saw it had a style sheet specifying the point size
> to use (at igc.topica.com).
>
> It's not too suprising that if the site is saying which point size to
> use, it's hard to override it.  And it's not very polite style.  Also,
> NS is kind of funky in its handling of styles.
>
> However, I know the site looks OK when I use MSIE from Windows.  I may
> try the pointer about the true type fonts (thanks) and see if that
> helps.

The following configurations will restrict the range of sizing for
Netscape fonts.  Another option is to get a filtering proxy to strip out
HTML cruft such as font face= and size= tags.  Add it to
/etc/X11/Xresources/ as "netscape", or otherwise modify your X
resources.

--------------------< begin >--------------------

!## NETSCAPE

# Restrict the range of size increments allowed by <font size=n> directives to
# the range 80% - 120% rather than 50% - 210%.  Default increment is 20.
# KMSelf Wed Dec 29 15:47:57 PST 1999
Netscape*documentFonts.sizeIncrement:   05

# Clean up the fscking toolbar
Netscape*toolBar.search.isEnabled: false
Netscape*toolBar.destinations.isEnabled: false
Netscape*toolBar.myshopping.isEnabled: false
Netscape*toolBar.viewSecurity.isEnabled: false
Netscape*toolBar.print.isEnabled: true
Netscape*toolBar.home.isEnabled: true

# And some other brain damage
Netscape*useStdoutDialog: false
Netscape*useStderrDialog: false
Netscape*noAboutSplash: true

# Fonts -- dialogs and such
Netscape*attachmentProps*XmLabelGadget.fontList: fixed
Netscape*AddressBook*mainform.fontList:		 fixed
Netscape*XmLGrid*fontList:			 fixed
Netscape*attachItemLabel*fontList:		 fixed
Netscape*prefs*fontList:			 fixed
Netscape*statusBar*fontList:			 fixed

Netscape*documentFonts.defaultFont*iso-8859-1.prop: -ttf-garamond-120-noscale
Netscape*documentFonts.defaultFont*iso-8859-1.fixed: -ttf-courier new-90-noscale