Re: using my /dev items - playing CDs

I'm getting very close - sounds now work thanks to the tips below. I still
can't get music CDs to work. They will work when I log into X as root...
but that's not good.

When I start the CD player, it says:

Error accessing cdrom device.
Please check to make sure cdrom drive support is compiled into the kernel,
and that you have permission to access the device.

Reason: Permission denied

Like I said before, it will play CDs when I log into X as root. I tried
changing the group of the CD program (gtcd) to audio, since my username is
now a member of the audio group, but it still gave the same error.

Any suggestions are certainly welcome,
John