Keeping package management system happy

Zope's PersistentList and PersistentDictionary classes want to be
installed in Zope/lib/python/ZODB.  I suspect they go here, rather
than in a product directory, to make sure they are available to all
other packages.  Perhaps there are other reasons.

At any rate, the indicated directory is in the area owned by the
package management system, and there is no /var/lib/zope/xxx/
substitute available.

What's the proper way to handle this situation?

For now, I'm going to try putting the files in the same directory as
my product, and then the product in /var/lib/...  It's clearly not
ideal, but I'm hoping it will work.

This seems like a fairly general problem, so I've cc'd the list.  Help
accepted from all quarters!

While I'm on the subject of Zope, policy, and general issues, I also
wanted to configure Zope so it would start manually, rather than
automatically as the package has it.  I know I could just track down
the scripts in the different start up directories (or perhaps use a
utility whose name escapes me right now).  But again, I wonder if
that's proper.

Thanks.

P.S. Another Zope security hole has just been discovered and plugged.