Re: Modem pulse dailing?

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 02:28:34AM +0300, joost witteveen wrote:
> I want my modem to dail using pulses, not tones (some phonelines in
> Bulgaria need it).
>
> After setting `Pulse' in the pppconfig menu, chat seems to
> use ATDP as dail string, but I still hear tones.
>
> The Linux Newbie Guide (http://sunsite.auc.dk/linux-newbie/FAQ.htm)
> claims that all Hayes-compatible modems should accept pulse dailing,
> so what am I doing wrong?
>
> (from /var/log/ppp.log:)
>
> Aug 20 02:10:10 muso chat[1050]: send (ATDP8800999^M)

Try running minicom, to get direct modem control.  You can find a Hayes
modem command set either in your modem documentation, from the
manufacturer's website, or by searching Google.  Tends to be largely
standardized these days.

Try 'ATDP <number>', where number is something you can dial without
incurring large connection costs.  It's possible that some modems may
not support pulse dialing.  This should help etablish whether or not
yours can.