Re: Gateway Select 750

I have the exact same problem as you ('cept my Gateway is a E-4200).  I'm
new to Debian, and not well aquainted with the install, but here is what I
tried:

The ATA/100 patches are only (as far as I can see) for kernel
2.4.0-test1 with ac12 patch applied.  I haven't tried it on other kernels
yet - I'm taking a break from frustration.  Anyhow, the Potato installer
uses a 2.2 kernel.  I'll admit that I didn't even try to apply the patch
to the install kernel, but I'll give that a shot next.

What did was I made the rescue & boot disks, and replaced the kernel on
the rescue disk with my patched 2.4 kernel (that I compiled on an
existing Linux (RedHat) box).  Mine kept hanging while detecting the IDE
buses - It seemed to see the drive attached to the ATA/100
controller, but would hang right afterwards, before mounting the root
filesystem.

After that failed miserably, I put the drive on the motherboard IDE
controller - regular, standard, and supported (thank God!) ATA/33.  I
installed Debian, and recompiled my 2.4.0-test1-ac12+ide100 kernel.  I
shutdown the computer, moved my drive to the ATA/100 controller, booted...
guess what: it hung again, at the same damn point.

I'd say go ahead & try it yourself.  One thing you ought to double-check
(I didn't), is that your controller's chipset is actually listed as
supported by the patch (found at http://www.linux-ide.org).  Also, with
the second method, remember to change /etc/fstab & /etc/lilo.conf to point
to /dev/hde1 as the root filesystem (yes, I did do this) before you move
the drive back to the ATA/100 controller.

Any questions?

-Matt Stegman
<mas9483@cis.ksu.edu>