a hack that solves my dropped network (sort-of)

If anyone else has replied with a suggestion for my dropped
mail problem, I've lost everything since early yesterday
evening due to the fetchmail problem.

I can now keep the connection up with an extra-ugly hack: a
script to the effect of

while true
       /etc/init.d/networking force-reload
       sleep 5

[I said it was ugly . . .]

I've also noticed that I can ping my gateway when the network drops.
Does this get us anywhere?

Given that the problem persisted after moving to another building, and
through a fresh installation, I'm suspecting
the network card (an old isa etherpro).

I'm not going to miss this machine when I get a new one . . .

Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.       Smeal 178    (814) 375-4700
These opinions will not be those of Penn State until it pays my