(3Com) Ethernet card 100Base-only capable?

Hi guys

I got myself a second box onto which I just installed potato! Yippie!
I have one problem, though: the network card. :(

Here is what dmesg says:

<dmesg>
Linux version 2.2.15 (herbert@gondor) (gcc version 2.95.2 20000313 (Debian GNU/Linux)) #1 Thu Jun 1 10:47:16 EST 2000
Detected 132632631 Hz processor.
[snip]
3c59x.c:v0.99H 11/17/98 Donald Becker http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
eth0: 3Com 3c905B Cyclone 100baseTx at 0x6000,  00:10:5a:64:5e:ba, IRQ 9
  8K byte-wide RAM 5:3 Rx:Tx split, 100baseTX interface.
  Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.
</dmesg>

Now, this 3Com card sitting in this box I got given from a friend. From
what dmesg says it looks like it's a 100Base-only card ...? (It certainly
hasn't a BNC plug on it)

There isn't any LED lighting up on either the card or the (10Base-only)
hub. The funny thing is that on the card there *is* a LED for 10Base...?
Hmmm....

On the card itself it says what dmesg says: 3Com 3c905B.

Here I have only a 10Base hub though... looks like I *have* to get
a new (10Base-only) card for this box then.

If this is really so, I think it's annoying for cards as this to exist.
Are there any specific reasons for having Ethernet cards that are only
100Base capable and not 10Base also.

I am happy to have another box though. It even is faster than what I had
before (133MHz over 90MHz :).

The box had a password (Award BIOS) set even when booting.
But, *the first* hit on *the first* search on google.com led me straight
to the universal password: "j262" :) Kewl, huh?

Thanks for help
Sven