Re: Proxy servers in Linux

The three general solutions I could think of for this are:

  - Port forwarding via ssh.  Forward an internet-accessible port to the
	Oracle port of the database server.  Traffic connecting to the
	external port will be forwarded to Oracle.  This may be insecure and
	expose your database to the Internet.

  - Network Address Translation (NAT), aka masquerading under Linux.
	Remapping an external address to the internal Oracle port.  This may
	be insecure and expose your database to the Internet.

  - VPN.  I'm less familiar with this technology, but believe it can be
	used to create a *general* channel between a specific host and your
	internal LAN.  The advantage over the above two methods is that this
	would offer both authentication and encryption of data over the
	Internet.

There may be other access modes available.  Note that anything which
directly or indirectly opens the Oracle port to Internet traffic is a
potentially grave data security/integrity threat.