Re: a work partition on a dual boot machine

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 01:24:15AM -0400, Stephen Kraig wrote:
> Hi all, I am finally getting around to setting my main box (a pentium
> III currently running windoze 98) as a dual boot machine...I have set
> up linux only boxes before, but never a dual boot, and I am wondering
> if anyone has a suggestion for the following problem/desire
>
> My plan for partitioning my 9 Gb hard drive is something as follows
>
> win98 "root" partition (to hold the windows OS and program files) - 3Gb
> Debian root  - 1.5 Gb
> Swap         - .5 Gb (512 M, because I do some intense math stuff...)
>
> and the rest to be a work partition, which brings me to the question,
> files on the work partition should be accessable to both debian and
> windoze, and it would be nice if both systems could agree on the
> longer filenames....so what type of file system should this partition
> contain, and how do I create it?

I strongly recommend seperate partitions for /, /tmp, /var, /usr, and
/home.  You may want additional /var partitions for a website or various
/spool and /cache subdirectories.  Seperating out /usr/local is also
frequently advisable.  Sizes:

    /			50 - 100 MB
	<swap>       3x physical RAM
	/tmp        32 MB
	/var       250 - 500 MB
	/usr         1 - 3 GB
	/usr/local   1 - 3 GB
	/home        remainder

...for a typical general-purpose workstation.

Creating seperate partitions has several advantages, suggest you
research to discover what they are.