Re: Quickie Kernel question

"Tim Jump" <tjump@bigfoot.com> writes:
> My apologies if this is an rtfm situation, but I haven't been able to
> find the answer in my all-too-brief search.
>
> Do I need to download the kernel-headers package to compile a
> new version of the kernel?

No, just download the debianized kernel-source-*.deb file, or apt-get
it, or download the pure kernel source from your favorite kernel.org
ftp mirror.

> What the heck is that for, anyway?

I believe it's for other software that may not come as part of the
kernel but very well may depend on the kernel. For example, I think
VMWare used to require the headers, at a minimum, to compile from
source.

Look through the Packages file(s) and you can see if any other
packages require or recommend a kernel-headers package if you're
really curious.

Gary