Re: can't ftp through IP Masq

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Stan Kaufman wrote:

> John Reinke wrote:
> >
> > Here's what my problem is (for those just joining): I have IP Masqing set
> > up on a potato system, and everything works through it except ftp. The ftp
> > clients on machines on the private network connect to external sites, but
> > never are able to get a listing of the files or even retrieve files from
> > those systems.
> >
> > John
>
> Sounds like you're running into the problems of establishing the proper
> ipchains ruleset for active vs passive ftp through your firewall, and
> this probably isn't an issue with ipmasq per se.

I have the same problem, and just now discovered that I didn't config my
2.2.14 kernel with CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_MOD.

So, I just set this flag and re-compiled the kernel, only to find that
ip_masq_app.c was still not compiled because, I think, this in file
net/ipv4/.depend:

   $(wildcard /usr/src/linux/include/config/ip/masq/debug.h)
ip_masq_ftp.o: \

That debug.h file doesn't exist.

I've just installed and am about to build the potato
kernel-source-2.2.17_2.2.17pre6-1.deb package.

Anybody have any comments about this?

...RickM...