Re: LILO & Kernel Image too big

Pontus Lidman wrote:
<snipped>
> 2) use 'make bzImage' instead of 'make zImage' to make a bz compressed
> image. The bz compression makes it smaller.

The b does not stand for bz compression.  It stands for big zimage.  A quote
from the kernel docs (/usr/src/linux/Documentation/kbuild/commands.txt as
came with kernel 2.2.16) :

Note: the difference between 'zImage' files and 'bzImage' files is that
'bzImage' uses a different layout and a different loading algorithm,
and thus has a larger capacity.  Both files use gzip compression.
The 'bz' in 'bzImage' stands for 'big zImage', not for 'bzip'!

> I don't remember if lilo can actually load larger bz images than z images,
> but I've never had a bz image that was too large.

As it says above, yes.  The bzimage allows for a larger kernel image.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.